The Queen’s 90th birthday 2016
The concert by local Community Choir Vivace to celebrate the Queen’s 90th birthday in Words and Song held at Seacourt Hall on 17 June was a huge success. Narrators Robin Carr and Gail Knowles reminded us of the key events of the Queen’s life and the music popular in each decade. The audience joined in enthusiastically with a wide range of songs- Music hall, Jazz, dance music and songs with a message were all represented. We were pleased to sing There’ll be Blue Birds Over the White Cliffs of Dover to celebrate the fact that Vera Lyn, was made a Companion of Honour in the Birthday Honours lists. (Sir) Rod Stewart also had a slot with ‘Sailing.’ The audience particularly enjoyed our homage to the Queens’s breakfast in the Breakfast Calypso and the trip to Ascot races (Courteousy of My Fair Lady We finished off with rousing renditions of Jerusalem, Rule Britannia and The National Anthem. Voirrey Carr organised the whole event and acted as conductor and soloist. Martin Harris and Pauline Allen showed their command of Trivia by emerging as joint winners of the Royal quiz. Everyone enjoyed a chat and refreshments in the interval.Many thanks to everyone who came and took part in a very memorable community celebration.
Remembrance Day at the Botley Commonwealth War Graves
Best of Botley awards, December 2015
Congratulations to all the well-deserving winners and runners up in the first ‘Best of Botley’ awards! Thank you also to the judges and organisers and everyone who came along for a memorable night celebrating local volunteers in our community. Full details below. A report on the event by That’s Oxford TV can be seen by clicking here. The Best of Botley was also covered in the Oxford Mail.
- Community Group Leader of the year: Winner: Terry Saxton (Oxford 15th Scouts), shortlisted: Darren Blase (North Hinksey Youth Club), Emmett Casley (Pavilion Trust, Fete)
- Conservation / environment group: Winner: Friends of Raleigh Park, shortlisted: Oxford Preservation Trust
- Young volunteer of the year: Winners: Charlie Cresswell and Megan Cunningham
- Favourite school staff member – Botley School: Winner: Sam Whitehead
- On-line activity: Winner: Botley North Hinksey website team, shortlisted: Councillor Debby Hallett
- Retired volunteer of the year: Winner: Briony Newport, shortlisted: Philip Stevens, Mary Timbrell
- Business supporting the community: Winner: Café Aloha, shortlisted: Seacourt Bridge
- Arts group: Winner: Whichcraft, shortlisted: Botley Community Arts Group
- Sports group: Winner: Oxford R.F.C.
- Long-term volunteer of the year: Winner: Marina Bennett (Botley Over 60s Lunch Club), shortlisted: Philip Stevens, Briony Newport, Olive Darlow
- Community Group of the year: Winner: North Hinksey Youth Club, shortlisted: Botley Over 60s Lunch Club, West Way Community Concern
- Lifetime Achievement: Ag MacKeith
Thank you also to our judges Margaret Deignan from Field House; Martin Harris; local historian, Rev. Clare Sykes; and Monica White, Librarian. Also to our sponsors: Waitrose, David Tompkins, Andrews Dry Cleaners, Oxford Interiors and The Sprout.