As part of the West Way Square development there is a public art fund available to provide a significant artistic feature for residents and visitors to enjoy. North Hinksey Parish Council is working with the Vale District Council to invite a lead artist to work with local residents to create a work of art or a series of works of art to help people re-engage with this public space and help foster a sense of belonging and identity.
The full brief has been distributed by the Vale’s arts officer via a number of artist networks. It includes input from the public consultation event at Seacourt Hall early in 2020 where over 200 members of the public were asked about what artwork they would like to see in terms of function, location, artform and themes. The brief includes
- Artistically improving some of the street furniture metal work (such as railings, bollards and electricity boxes)
- Creating a trail of artworks and sculptures in the main Piazza (combination of wood, metal and stone)
- Exploring the use of creative lighting to enhance the night-time footfall of the piazza
- Creating decorative wall features on the elevations of the community and residential landmark buildings, also potentially some type of shelter connected to buildings or free standing.
- Using this project to encourage artistic interventions within the A34 underpass (including lighting, metalwork and painting)
- To reference and commemorate the names of local people who died in service in the world wars as a memorial.
Once commissioned the artists will be asked to work closely with local residents, neighbours, visitors, community groups and the local arts community. Ideas for creative engagement and community involvement will be developed at an early stage of the design process.
Expression of Interest should be submitted electronically, as a PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org entitled “Expression of Interest in West Way Public Art project” by 14th January 2021 See the brief in the link below for full details of what to include in Expressions of Interest.