The Botley and North Hinksey ‘Big Green Day’ – Saturday Feb. 29th 11am – 4pm at Seacourt Hall and St. Peter and Paul Church Hall, West Way, Botley.
What can we do to make a difference?
Leap into Action! is Botley’s own community and environment day. Last year the Parish Council declared a ‘climate emergency’. Like other councils we are now looking at how we can most usefully work to tackle the crisis we face. We know that we need to work with our local community – this event is our first step in doing that.
Leap into Action! has a serious message, but the day will interesting and enjoyable. There’s free activities in two halls – our new Seacourt Hall and St. Peter and Paul Church Hall.
So come and find out how you can help to protect and improve our environment. There’s lots going on:
- Don’t throw away your unwanted clothing, books, dvds and music – bring them to the ‘Bring and Take’ (Starts at 11.15am – drop things off from 10.30am in the Church Hall)
- Children are very welcome – there’s face painting, the Orinoco Scrapstore ‘play space’, and Hill End Centre craft activities
- Green your home and life: If you’d like to know more about what’s going on in Botley and across Oxford – and what you can do to help – there’ll be ideas and advice from local groups in the Seacourt Hall
- You can green your home literally! – come and plant seeds and take them home for your house and garden. Bring your spare plants and seeds to swap (Runs from 2 – 3pm in the Church Hall)
- We hope you’ll find something that you can do at home or locally for our environment: We invite you to come to ‘Planet Photobooth’ – make your ‘climate commitment’ and get your photo taken to show it
- If you’re a cyclist bring yours along to see ‘Dr Bike’ to get it checked out and tuned up for free.
- There’s entertainment including the Oxford Taiko group (Japanese Drumming) and our local Cry Havoc! morris dance team
If you want to talk or hear about what you can do there’s short talks on climate and the environment. Layla Moran MP will speak along and Vale D.C councillors will be with us.
There’s food and drink through the day including excellent cakes from Botley W.I. and “the best vegeburgers I ever tasted!” from GreenBox (who regularly feed people at the Tap Social).
At 3pm we invite you to join our ‘community commitment’ meeting, where we’ll discuss what we can do to tackle climate change.
Keep in touch with what’s happening on the 29th via Facebook.